Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, August 12, 2005

Sup-sup-suppertime


Shepherd's pie
Originally uploaded by
Sunshine follows me.
Sometimes, after a hard day at work, I like to work off my frustrations in the kitchen.

Cooking is so satisfying. I get to wield sharp implements and hack things into tiny little pieces. I pound on slabs of meat with a minature sledgehammer, I slice and dice onions, I mash potatoes with maniacal glee. And at the end of all the hard work, I get to sit down and enjoy the results.

This method of kitchen therapy originated from my 'A' Level Biology Teacher. She used to listen to our pathetic attempts at describing the physiology of kidneys, glare at us and say, "I will think of you all when I'm carving tonight's chicken with a meat cleaver. Chop! Chop! Chop!"

Today, I made this lovely Shepherd's pie - juicy lamb mince slowly stewed in a tomato based gravy with carrots and onions, topped with mashed potatoes and melted cheese, green peas on the side. I decided to use red leicester cheese for the topping - thought it would give it a nicer colour and flavour.

It looked beautiful when I pulled it out of the oven, bubbling gently, filling the kitchen with a lovely meaty fragrance. As MDH and I sat down and ate it together, I felt warm and happy - and at home.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me hungry :/

1:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks yummy! Nice to see that you had a lovely, homey meal with MDH after such an eventful week. :)

1:40 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is very sweet. The thought of two person sitting down together for a meal and letting the meal warm both your hearts.

10:21 am  
Blogger tscd said...

jadeite: Good. That was the idea.

julia: Yes, I really felt as if I'd moved into the house properly then.

one little twit: I always think that it's important for family to sit together at mealtime. It's very Chinese isn't it? Bonding over food.

8:18 pm  
Blogger wahj said...

your bio teacher sounds psycho = )

2:26 am  
Blogger tscd said...

wahj: yeah, that's why we liked her.

9:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.