Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 01, 2010

Party Prep Day 1: Stuffing the swagbags

Stardust's 2nd birthday is coming up at the end of the week, so this week I will be absolutely swamped with party preparations! I am so glad that the Outlaws are here because I need all the help I can get.

This is a single income family, so we can't afford to hire caterers and buy expensive party gear, so I have to be innovative and try to keep within our tiny budget.

Last year, I stuffed the children's swagbags with a bottle of bubblemix, a handful organic biscuits and an iron-on transfer (an addition to the swagbag from my mum). I wrapped them using a clear bag and twine, and labelled them with thankyou notes.

Here is what is going into this year's swagbag:

1. A bag of japanese melt-in-the-mouth puffbiscuits.
Stardust doesn't eat these himself because he doesn't like them, but they are really popular amongst his peers. They are low sugar and high in calcium so health-conscious parents here seem to like them. I just thought they would look good in the party bag because of the bright pictures printed on them. They were a dollar for a five packets in a box. I bought 3 boxes.

2. A pair Lyra wax crayons - unbreakable and non-toxic!
I bought 2 cartons of 12 and split them up into pairs. They cost $2 a carton.

3. A mini-colouring book
I printed out and assembled these myself. It has thank you notes on the back and a bright picture of Stardust on the front. I downloaded the pictures off the internet - Disney.com has tons of free colouring pages!

4. A colourful eraser with a bright graphic pattern
These came in a pack of 5 for $2. I bought 3 packs.

5. A small sheet of stickers
I found a giant sheet of stickers for $1.50 and cut it up into equal sized pieces.

We're going to play simple 'everyone-gets-a-prize' games, so I also bought mini-boxes of raisins, some more stickers and whirlygig-windmills to give away.

I packed them all into a dozen polka-dotted cones that I got from IKEA during the post-Christmas sales, wrapped them in clear plastic bags and tied off the tops with a gold twist-tie. They look really festive. I will probably put them in a basket and have Stardust give them out to his friends as they come in.

Grownups will be getting a lollipop attached to a paper 'Thank you' bookmark that has a picture of Stardust on the front. I got the lollipops free from the supermarket after making a $50 purchase there. I made about 40 bookmarks in total.

Budget: $50
Total expenditure: around $30

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger grace said...

well done! i'm very impressed :)

1:23 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

grace: Thanks! We try very hard here.

8:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.