Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The colours of the rainbow

TSCD: Okay, sit down nicely on this chair

Stardust: I sit down.

TSCD: You can have this to play with...(jams a finger puppet on Stardust's thumb)

Stardust: Fish!

TSCD: Yes, it's a fish. What colour is it?

Stardust: (scrutinises fish) Green. Green fish.

TSCD: Um, no. It's a pink and orange fish.

Stardust: Green fish.

TSCD: No, it's a pink and orange fish.

Stardust: Pink

TSCD: And?

Stardust: Or....

TSCD: Pink and orange

Stardust: N'orange

TSCD: That's right! (starts singing)
I'm a pink and orange fish
I'm swimming in the sea
I'm a pink and orange fish
Just take a look at me
I'm a pink and orange fish and
I'm happy just to beeeeeeee
A pink and orange fish who is
Swimming in the sea!!

Stardust: (chimes in) The sea!!!

TSCD: Good! (second verse!)
I'm a pink and orange fish
Come and play with me
I'm a pink and orange fish
Just look and you will see
A pink and orange fish
Happy as can beeeeeeee
To be so pink and so orange
And so fishy in the sea!!!

Stardust: (chimes in) The sea!!!

TSCD: Good! So, what colour is the fish?

Stardust: Green.

(On a more serious note, Stardust is probably colour blind. Red-green colour blindness runs in the family and I am probably a carrier of the gene. I have problems with colours myself, but probably at a different level from true colour-blindness. I can see red and green but I occasionally have difficulty differentiating shades of brown from shades of dark red. I have noticed that Stardust almost always identifys the colour green incorrectly but at his age it is too early to tell. When he's older, I will probably have to get him formally tested.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms-Ellisa said...

That is so cute!!!

Did you make that song up by yourself or is it a real one?

At what age would you get him tested for color differentiating?

10:33 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

Ms Ellisa: yes, I made it up. I do that to help him remember new things (although it didn't seem to work this time).

I'll probably formally test him when he's around 3 or 4 and can express himself more fluently.

8:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.