Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Rewards for good service (II)

So it's croup and flu season and I have seen a minimum of five croupy children a night and a whole host of chest infections. They just parade through the department, coughing on me and wiping their snotty noses on my clothes.

And now I am shivering with fever and breathing through my mouth.

I have to take another sick day off work. And I'm supposed to be doing the overnight shift today - it's already a busy enough shift as it is, with only 2 doctors covering the whole of A&E. I hope they manage to hire a locum doctor to replace me tonight.

I hate taking time off work. I always feel so guilty because I'm letting my patients and work colleagues down. Whenever a doctor goes off sick, it means that another doctor is working twice as hard to pick up the slack. It means longer waiting times for patients. It means grumpy patients, grumpy nurses, grumpy everybody.

Being sick makes me hate myself.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear. =( hope you get better soon.

10:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. Take care and get well soon. :\

10:57 am  
Blogger ampulets said...

aiyoh, don't feel guilty... and have a good rest instead! Think of it this way - you are helping to make sure you don't spread more germs to make other docs and nurses sick.

6:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get well soon, doc. - D W

2:22 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

a.l., w, ampulets and DW: Thanks for your good wishes. They made me smile so much I had to get out the vaseline to soothe my cracked lips!

4:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.