Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A potato for all seasons

I love my potatoes.

It's one of the perks of being in the UK, where potatoes are the staple carbohydrate source. It's great having access to a whole range of potatoes and their beautiful, high falutin names - King Edward, Desiree, Maris Piper, Juliette, Estima, Duke of York, Lady Christl. I always feel like I'm looking at high society 'A' list when I'm at the supermarket.

One of my favourite lunchtime meals nowadays is the Jacket Potato. No longer the little foil-wrapped accompaniment to a sizzling Jack's Place sirloin; it's a main meal in it's own right.

And the endless combinations of fillings! Who knew the baked potato came with more than just the standard butter, sourcream and chives with bacon bits? Bring on the coronation chicken, the ratatouille, the chilli con carne!

The jacket potato I had today was stuffed to overflowing with creamy soft cheese, ham and juicy fresh pineapple. It came with a crunchy fresh salad (something else that I've only learned to really appreciate since leaving Singapore).

Of course, there's nothing wrong with the sourcream and chives. Perfectly acceptable, especially when served on top of piping hot papas bravas with crispy skins and sweet floury centres.

MmmMmmm...

I think I'm gonna go boil me taters right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tym said...

I've always liked salads, but it's only in the last few years that I've come to appreciate more interesting mixes of greens and other goodies in them. Happy words: arugula, feta, balsamic vinegar and, oh why not, more arugula.

Our supermarkets' range of potatoes is comparatively modest: brown or red. That's about it :)

3:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow... looks good! maybe i shd make some stuffed potatoes for my lunch next week. looks easy enuf to cook within an hour yes?

11:23 pm  
Blogger wahj said...

"taters ... cook 'em, boil 'em, stick 'em in a stew" = )

I love baked potatoes: a simply, fast, self-contained meal.

11:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm, potatoes! i love the fact that you can stuff them with whatever, leave them to bake, and they magically transform into delicious oozing things.

3:25 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

tym: Mmmm, cool salads on a hot day. Yummy!

budak: You bet! :)

spots: If you want to cheat a bit, you can microwave the potatoes for 8-10 minutes (I usually cover them with a moist towel to keep them from drying out) and then crisp them up in the oven for 2-3 minutes.

wahj and j: Yeah, and it fills you up too.

1:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.