Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Bilingual

Stardust is starting to attempt to form sentences and he is pretty much unintelligible to most people. I, on the other hand, have become an expert interpreter of Toddlerspeak, which means that we hold real conversations now. I must say that Stardust is getting to be a very interesting person to talk to!

His enunciation still needs alot of work and I don't always remember to correct him when we are out in public. His enunciation doesn't seem to bother me - I know that he will eventually pick up the correct sounds if I repeat them often enough. However, I was really surprised at the reaction we got from eavesdropping bystanders who seemed to get really upset and angry when I failed to correct him!

Here's a good example of a conversation we had recently on the bus that sparked a chorus of tut-tutting from fellow passengers:

Stardust: Mummy! Mummy! Look there [on the side of a passing bus]! Frogs sitting on lilypads!
TSCD: Wow! That's right! How many are there?
Stardust: We shall count them - one, two, three, four! Four frogs.
TSCD: Well done, that's excellent!

On retrospect, this is probably what they were hearing:

Stardust: Yummy! Yummy! Loo loo loo! F***! S***! Lily pat!
TSCD: Wow! That's right! How many are there?
Stardust: I c***! Yummy c***! Un, doo, tree, fork! Fork F***!
TSCD: Well done, that's excellent!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.