Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, November 14, 2005

Ideas, anyone?

My sister is turning 21 soon, and I want to get her something special.

Something grown up that says "Hey, you're 21 now! Welcome to the big league!" but not so womanly so that it still says "Hey little girl, this is from your big sister!".

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone got a birthday present that was so amazing that they still look at it and it makes them feel happy?

I'm ruling out gold jewellery, by the way - that's probably my parent's domain and they've got first dibs on buying the commerative bling (they've earned the right).

I don't actually remember much about my 21st birthday - it was still a big deal, had the party and all that - but I'd just come out of a serious long-distance relationship, so it was the first time I had seen my ex-boyfriend since we had broken up a month previously. I think I spent my 21st birthday pretending to be shiny and happy whilst everyone hugged me and kissed me and looked misty-eyed and said I looked so grown up.

I didn't love any of the presents I received that year. I have bad memories of my 21st year. It was a bad year.

6 Comments:

Blogger ketsugi said...

Since nobody else has posted anything, I thought I'd just drop a note saying that I have no idea what to give, but I didn't want you think I was ignoring the post. ;D

I have a really lousy sense of gift-choosing, though. :/

11:04 pm  
Blogger wahj said...

Choosing gifts is always so personal, and so difficult. I think whatever it is that you pick for your sister, it's the way it's given that will send the message you want. (yes, I know: not very useful advice in the specifics)

Perhaps a nice message, delivered in person, or recorded? (rather than a card) to accompany whatever present.

11:38 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

ketsugi: Eh, then what kind of presents do you buy for beloved, Mr Lousy Gift Picker? Don't tell me that you buy her them stuffed bears that look broken but aren't, or mugs that say 'Best Girlfriend'.

wahj: Personalised, eh? Message, eh? Hmmm...

2:38 am  
Blogger tscd said...

jadeite: Ooh, sponsored pampering sounds very good!

6:36 pm  
Blogger ketsugi said...

tscd: We've been together just over 5 months now; we haven't really had many occasions for gift-giving yet, and we're poor students who don't generally spend much money on each other or even on ourselves, apart from daily necessities. Usually I've been treating her to meals (we've sorta kinda agreed to taking at most one semi-expensive meal a month) but I haven't really bought a gift for her yet.

I'm planning on getting her a new Swatch for Christmas, but don't tell her that.

11:44 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

ketsugi: I remember being a poor student - but it's not an excuse for buying bad presents! MDH and I never ate out and our idea of a date was renting a movie and cooking dinner together. A swatch sounds like a really neat present - posh but not over the top! I hope she likes it.

1:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.