Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Bad Day

Today I had to:

1. Examine the cheesiest scrotum in the world. How do people let themselves go like that? This guy actually waited a whole week before he decided that it was highly inconvenient to have to change underwear three times a day. There was pus was everywhere. It was horrible. And it smelt bad. I almost threw up on him.

2. Wipe vomit off my stethescope and my hands. Thank God for my quick reflexes - I managed to duck out of the way just in time. Otherwise I would be washing half digested peas and carrots out of my face and hair.

3. Hold down a screaming child with one hand whilst using the other one to twist her dislocated elbow back into place. She will never trust another doctor ever again. I have scarred this one for life.

4. Put a needle into an elderly man who was so delirious with fever that he had gone back to the darkest times in his life. He grabbed my hands and screamed at me to rescue him from the camps and take the messages to 'Mr Smithson' and then he gibbered in Jewish and German. He had a string of numbers tattooed on his forearm. Then I put the needle in him, he called me a Nazi and a traitor, then lunged for my throat before passing out from the sedative I gave him. Fun times.

5. Tell a man that he shouldn't drive until he is free from epileptic fits for at least 1 year. He drives buses for a living. And I guess, well...that he can't be a bus driver anymore. It's horrible to see a grown man cry.

It has not been a good day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really had an awful day, didn't you? (And the British weather here isn't helping much.) I don't know what I can say to make you feel better, but please hang in there.

Take care.

9:35 am  
Blogger wahj said...

Don't really know what to say, except to add my encouragement to the previous comments and tell you to hang in there. Something good will come along soon, I'm sure.

11:54 am  
Blogger tscd said...

kilburina: It was tough. I was exceeding grumpy when I got home and was in desperate need of cheese toasties!

lynne: Oh, we all have good working days and bad working days. I'll survive!

wahj: Thanks! I'll be okay. Things don't get 'good' in medicine, though...because the minute things start getting good, the patient leaves and is replaced by more badness. At least I don't have to do bed baths.

5:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, this post totally jolted me out of my senses and made me think again about the world of Dr. Gregory House. - D W

11:45 am  
Blogger tscd said...

DW: I'm not half as funny as Hugh Laurie!

6:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.