Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, November 11, 2005

Good Day

Today:

1. An old lady held my hand and told me that I had warm hands and a healing touch. She was smiling, and the light behind the bed shone through her hair, so it glowed like a silvery halo. She said that I had put my hands on her stomach and taken away her pain. Actually, I was examining her stomach, whilst the nurse was busy giving her a little bit of morphine.

2. The drunk man said that I was beautiful. Even though I was busy jabbing him with a needle at the time. The power of beer goggles (or beer armour, in his case; he didn't even feel the needle going in) truly baffles me.

3. The 2 year old with the bump on the head said 'Tank you doctor' and then hugged my leg. On the way out the door, he waved and then blew me a kiss. His mother was surprised - he's usually shy around strangers. I guess he must have liked it that I could sing 'Bob the Builder', 'Postman Pat' and whistle the 'Wallace and Gromit' theme tune. I didn't even have to bribe him with stickers to make him sit still (but he did get one in the end for being such a good boy).

4. I sat in silence for 5 minutes next to the angry teenager who refused to speak to anyone, and in the end she told me why she had decided to cut her wrists. Later on, she said that she realised that talking would be the only way she could get rid of me. Haha. I win in the battle of wits once again!

5. I put a cannula into the arm of an oncology patient (end-stage lung cancer) and was successful in my first attempt. He cried because he was so relieved - usually it takes people three or four attempts to get one in, and he usually ends up with massive painful bruises. I told him that I was the queen of cannulas. He laughed.

It has been a good day.

5 Comments:

Blogger wahj said...

Sounds like a much better day than the last! = )

These things tend to come in cycles. The consolation of bad days is knowing that (in some unfathomable balancing of karmic energies) you're due for a good day soon.

10:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) - D W

11:45 am  
Blogger tscd said...

wahj: Karmic energy, chocolate energy...same effect.

DW: :) yeah

hungry bunny: It wasn't me, it was the Angel of Morphine!

6:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way the practice of medicine should be ...

1:16 am  
Blogger tscd said...

skates: For whom? Me or the patients?

2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.