Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 23, 2005

It's beginning

I know that the police don't shoot for no reason. I know that if that suspect was a suicide bomber, many more lives would have been lost.

But I'm still shocked that the man is
dead.

Edit (14 July 2005):

So it emerges that the man was a Brazilian electrician - explains why he might be carrying a heavy belt full of wires. It also explains why he might not have clearly understood (in his panic) what the policemen were shouting.

And the policemen were all in plain-clothes. So now I understand why he was trying to escape. He probably thought he was being attacked by a street gang. I would have done the same - 20 men running at me screaming and waving a gun, I'd try to run away.

It was a terrible mistake, and people make mistakes. People are bound to make mistakes in this state of heightened awareness.

This all makes me feel so unsafe.

I'm glad I'm going to be moving further away from London soon.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Huichieh said...

(...jaws wide open...)

"Stockwell passenger Mark Whitby told BBC News he had seen a man of Asian appearance shot five times by "plain-clothes police officers".

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him," he said."

On a different note: get well soon.

1:15 am  
Blogger tscd said...

huicheh: Actually they all took a great risk, cos he could have detonated his bombs when they were all bundled on top of him. It's a tough decision.

6:23 pm  
Blogger Huichieh said...

No, I do understand that. The moment the fella started running--and in a crowded place too--it's almost certain that something like this will happen. It is still shocking though.

6:51 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

huichieh: I freaked out alot after I read the news. My first reaction was that everyone had gone mad and the police were on a rampage. I'm more shocked about this shooting than I was about this weeks explosions. Just seemed more personal this time, I guess.

12:18 am  
Blogger shrimplate said...

tscd-

If the police chasing the suspect, to their great risk, had indeed caused him to detonate his bombs (had he been carrying any) then that would have been quite the foolish thing for the police to have done, no?

I do not blame the police, really. It just all seems so crazy.

1:05 am  
Blogger tscd said...

shrimplate: It's a catch-22 situation, isn't it?

7:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.