Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Comfort eating

Today it is cold and rainy outside, and I'm feeling too lazy to cook. So I'm going to defrost one of the many packets of frozen hawker food that I have squirrelled away in the freezer.

Yes. I smuggle Singapore hawker food into the UK. I freeze them on the day I buy them, then wrap it in plastic bags and put the packets in between my clothes just before heading to the airport. It stays frozen all the way, and when I defrost it and heat it up in the microwave, using it's original brown paper wrapping, it really does taste almost as good as the real thing.

Well, it's better than all my half baked attempts to make my own char kway teow. It just doesn't have the same taste that comes from being seared in the hawker's wok - which probably hasn't been scoured for several generations.

I have learned that quite a few of the really good hawkers are used to having their food exported. In fact, some of them even make an effort to pack their wares into neat little squares to make it easier to store, and they give me tips on exactly how to defrost and reheat it to preserve it's original form and taste. They really take pride in upholding the standards of their work.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's some chai tow kway awaiting me in the microwave oven.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smuggled, frozen Singapore hawker food? Wow, I didn't know it's possible. This determination must have stemmed from sheer homesickness, huh?

3:26 am  
Blogger Tym said...

I applaud your ingenuity. Never thought about freezing hawker food!

11:54 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

julia and tym: oh this idea was definitely driven by homesickness!

7:40 pm  
Blogger stellou said...

So scandalous!!!! Wah. Eh, you are clever. Um. And now I see that I may have to add certain items to my packing list. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

9:02 am  
Blogger tscd said...

stellou: oh dear, I'm such a bad influence (giggle)

4:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.