Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, October 30, 2006

The problem with gratefulness

Since I've started this new post, I have been kept in a constant supply of chocolate. All from grateful patients who have been under my care this year.

I usually open up the box and share the chocolates with the rest of the healthcare staff. A kilogram box of Cadbury's Heroes can be emptied in this manner in under fifteen minutes. I am usually able to save a couple of bite-sized pieces of Timeout at the risk of having my hand chewed off by the cocoa-maddened crowd. It's like throwing a fresh carcass into shark-infested waters.

Even so, I have put on 5 kg in the last 3 months. This is entirely due to the consumption of two or three chocolate pieces a day because nothing else in my lifestyle has changed. 5 kilos of chocolate weight! If this goes on any more, I shall be able to roll myself into work.

I am thinking of going swimming regularly at the local leisure centre. However, I have difficulty spending an hour in the pool just doing laps. I get bored and end up playing with water instead. Anyone have any suggestions on pool exercises I could try, just for a bit of variety?

3 Comments:

Blogger Felix Kasza said...

You could always follow Doctor Mama's advice (http://doctormama.blogspot.com/, select the "Running" category on the right sidebar, or search the site for "maggot") and go running.

Or you could go water running -- like treading water, only that you make an all-out effort to run through the water. Excellent cardio, and not bad for endurance either -- and non-weight-bearing, if that is why you are asking for things to do in the pool.

Cheers,
Felix.

8:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I do things like counting how many strokes to a length - trying to reduce them by increasing my glide,and imagining I am a canoe gliding through the water, and alternating with some lengths of faster strokes - Or I might watch other people while I have my face underwater ( always interesting), or muse over whatever I did the day before or what is coming up next ( good opportunity for reflection or prblem solving in a very relaxed way) Then I go into a slow lane using my float to do lengths of kicks which might be helping to slim my legs down and improve my free style, but also gives me a chance to pass the time of day with those who swim more slowly than I normally do. Last thought, maybe you could swim for a shorter period. I usually only swim for around 30 -40 minutes. I think I would get bored if I stayed for an hour. also this helps me fit it in before breakfast and therefore easier to keep to regularly.

Good luck

6:04 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

Felix: Water running sounds cool. But I'm not tall enough to do it in the lanes. The other kids laugh at me.

maryp: Thanks! I tried out your suggestions and it was real fun. Especially pretending to be a canoe.

5:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.