Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, August 26, 2005

Staying up


Evenings in, originally uploaded by Sunshine follows me.
I'm starting a week of overnight shifts, and the first thing I want to do is start to adjust my body clock by staying up late.

So...last night, MDH and I made up some uber-foot-long-sandwiches, and then we settled in front of the TV to enjoy our latest purchase.

Hooray for the Lord of the Rings Extended Version DVDs with hours and hours of extra behind-the-scenes documentries!

We've been wanting to get the films for ages but decided to wait until the set was going really cheap before buying...I think we must have saved about £40 so it is definitely worth waiting for.

MDH and I are going to watch the films in one hour instalments over the next few days (weeks?). We'll have to pace ourselves otherwise we might suffer from a surfeit of Tolkein and then go into Obsessive Fan Mode (very bad thing because then we'll fight over who gets to reread the books first).

MDH is not so interested in the commentaries and learning about how the film was created, so I ended up watching that by myself into the wee hours of the morning (MDH had to be up early today anyway).

So now it's noontime and I'm sleepy - which is good because now I can have a long enough nap this afternoon to keep my resources up throughout the night.

Hopefully.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tym said...

Dude. Dude.

We couldn't bear to wait so we bought the extended editions as they were released. And given the number of times I've seen them --- as well as the commentaries, which are arguably more entertaining than the films themselves --- I don't mind that I didn't get them on discount.

But to watch an hour a day! Go for the whole hog! We did it, and it was sooooo great! It's not the same as inching through it movie by movie.

And as commentaries go, I highly, highly recommend the cast and director/writers commentaries. The crew ones are a bit technical for me. And of course, you have to watch all the making-of documentaries all the way through.

It's such an amazing set of DVDs. It just makes me wonder why other big cult hits (with the possible exception of Kevin Smith films) don't get the same lavish and loving treatment in DVD form...

12:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be one of those whiny bitches but the one thing I hated about the movie is that the cut out the whole last bit of the book!

Gah, them hobbitses killed Saruman's man-orcs, goshdarnit, and I'd give good money to see it!

2:32 am  
Blogger Tym said...

j. --- No time lah, no time lah. As it is, RotK is such a long movie with so many endings! Personally, I'm happier with a shorter movie that works as a movie, rather than a long 'purist' one that ends up going nowhere for the film viewer. Your mileage may vary.

12:55 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

tym: I wish we had enough time together to do the long haul 12 hour LOTRfest.

j:I'm not so bothered about leaving out the restoration of the Shire (prefered the version of my imagination) - but I was very sad about the way they portrayed Faramir.

2:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.