Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Gifts

I've finished completing 130 exam practice questions. My head is spinning and my lips are dry. An empty glass sits at my elbow, and I realise that I've only had one glass of water since breakfast.

Checking the clock, I realise it is close to lunch time now, so I fling some stuff in a pot and turn on the stove. I also fling some laundry into the machine.

The house feels bigger than usual - MDH is on night duty at Faraway County Hospital so he is staying there for the week. It is a good plan, because it means that we will both spend our free time studying instead of snuggling. But I am missing him. It has been three days since I've heard his voice.

My eyes hurt from reading too much small print. As I wait for my food to cook, I lay back on the sofa and shut my eyes, listening to the slosh and hum of the washing machine.

Then suddenly, MDH is here. He comes home bearing gifts - a bag of Basset's jelly babies in an assortment of sugary flavours, a dozen blueberry muffins, a box of Lindt chocolate truffles and a warm hug.

He's asleep now and I'm in the living room, getting ready to tackle another set of exam revision questions.

I may return the last gift he gave me, later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.