Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 23, 2006

My hands

Today I helped an old lady to get onto a commode, but before she could get there, she collapsed.

I caught her as she fell and laid her on the floor.

She gasped once.

I called her name.

No response.

I put my hand on her neck to feel her pulse. It was fast and thready. Getting faster and faster.

And then it stopped.

Her two daughters and her granddaughter stood behind me and I told them to get more help whilst I started CPR.

She died.

4 Comments:

Blogger ketsugi said...

I hate to say it (no really, I do), but these things happen. Especially in your line of work. Don't let it get to you too much, and so often. At the same time, don't ever let yourself get too emotionally detached from your patients.

You're a great person, as far as I can tell. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and He will make your paths straight.

2:50 am  
Blogger iml said...

On the positive side, she passed on with minimal pain or suffering.

9:18 am  
Blogger angry doc said...

Your hands will be the first to touch people when they come into the world and also the last when they leave.

After the first three in each category the novelty wears off.

Hopefully.

2:34 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

ketsugi: I know that death happens. It's what I did about it that bugs me.

life story: I'm not sure about that.

glared: I'm not sure about that either.

angry doc: I try not to think about it.

jadeite: I'm sorry too.

5:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.