Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, May 04, 2007

The glamourous life of doctors

glam·our also glam·or (glăm'ər) n.
An air of compelling charm, romance, and excitement, especially when delusively alluring.


1. Charm: Having a pleasing or attractive quality
Certainly, patients do seem to find doctors pleasing and attractive. Why, only this week, I sat and had a most delightful conversation with one of my liver-failure patients who became over-excited after being advised to cut down on his alcohol intake. In fact, he took great pleasure in comparing my intelligence to various species of blue-green algae, as well as my appearance to that of the flamboyantly coloured rear of the baboon. Afterwards, he spat appreciatively in my general direction.

2. Romance: Having a mysterious appeal, as of something heroic, adventurous or beautiful
Well, I suppose you could say that being able to directly impact somebody's life in a positive manner is quite heroic and beautiful. Although, disimpact is probably slightly more accurate. I often disimpact many a suffering individual - manually, of course - and this always results in instant relief from unbearable discomfort.

3. Excitement: The state of being emotionally aroused or worked up

Oh, definitely, definitely. It's a wild, intense sort of life. Just yesterday, I rescued an escaping patient from running headlong into traffic. First, I executed a full body tackle, bringing the frail demented lady to the ground on the muddy grass verge. Then, I jabbed her in the buttocks with a sedating injection, whilst she screamed and elbowed me repeatedly in the face. Afterwards, I triumphantly dragged her back to the ward, to the cheers of onlooking burly workmen from the neighbouring building site, all waving their hardhats in the airs and shouting loudly about abuse. What a rush!

glam·our also glam·or (glăm'ər) n. An air of compelling charm, romance, and excitement, especially when delusively alluring.

I think it's very important to read the small print when it comes to choosing a career.

I still love my job. Mostly.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Angry Medic said...

Well, this sounds like me! Charm? Most certainly. Romance? Just ask any of the tens of nurses who try to drag me into supply closets a la Grey's Anatomy every day ;) Excitement? Well. Uhm. Okay, maybe not yet now. But I will, when I get to clinicals, which is only...only...uhm. Well okay it's not for a while yet. But I'm sure it's coming.

Someday.

Real soon, just you see. No really. Honest.

*whistles*

10:24 am  
Blogger The Angry Medic said...

Heh. Really glad you're enjoying your job though. You're lucky.

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your sense of humour!

1:33 am  
Blogger Zak said...

I know how it feels to love the job while some aspects of it truly suck. Perhaps this is what thd hey call occupational hazard huh?

the 3 miscarriages i had, i was told were due to a weak womb. Subsequently, i had excessive bleeding. After my last d&c, in april o6, I have not had my menses since. What gives?

9:29 am  
Blogger tscd said...

angry medic: It's hard to survive in medicine if you don't like what you do.

simply me: cheers!

zak: I don't know you as well as your gynae does, but I would suggest talking to him/her about your concerns - maybe there is something that can be done for you...so don't lose hope!

3:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.