Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Back in the game

One year of A&E is over, and I've secured a post in general medicine up along the northern coast.

MDH and I moved into our new apartment yesterday - a cosy little place that has a 'Juliet' balcony overlooking the bronze waters of the estuary. It's all kitted out with brand new furniture and has nice wood laminate flooring. The hospital we work at is about 15 minutes away in bad traffic, and we're only a stone's throw away from the city centre.

And, the best part is that our broadband service has been activated! Huzzah! BROADBAND RULES!!

The last 2 weeks have been horrific without the internet. MDH and I would come home, and we would be unable to check our email. We don't have a TV, so we had to listen to the radio in order to keep up to date with world news. Yes, it was back to the 1940s for us. In the evenings, we would sit on the sofa and listen to the wireless reporting on the war in Lebanon. Good times.

It is my first day on the job today, and I start on overnight duty until the end of the week, manning the acute admissions unit. This is why I am updating the blog at 4am.

I met up with my consultant this morning. The first thing he said to me was:

"You are a doctor. University graduates have an average IQ of 135 in the UK. Doctors are considered to be the top 5% of university graduates in terms of intelligence. As such, you are considered to be brighter than the vast bulk of the populace. Therefore, I expect you to know how to write."

Point taken.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hullo. Welcome back. :) And congrats on securing the new job!

I love Juliet windows, they are romantic! And I actually had a British friend who, 10 years ago when I knew him, didn't have a tv. When I contacted him recently, he still didn't have one. Yes ... he & girlfriend only listen to the radio.

~ Kim

6:11 pm  
Blogger angry doc said...

Welcome back.

7:55 pm  
Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

WELCOME BACK!!!!! We missed you.

8:55 pm  
Blogger Zak said...

great to finally have something good to read! Good to have you back!

11:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Missed your posts.

Your new home sounds lovely. How about a pic for us readers out here?

2:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - am delighted about the job -I have been wondering how you were doing.
mary

6:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good to see you back!! all da best for the job!

12:42 pm  
Blogger tscd said...

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've missed writing too.

1:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late... but welcome back. - D W

8:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on finding work.

Sounds like your new Consultant will be interesting.

2:35 am  
Blogger Andy said...

I LOVE that! I hate it when obviously intelligent individuals in medicine can't write, or spell. Can't they spell check? :>)

Congrats on the job! Missed your posts as well.

Laurie

9:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.